What Does the Role Involve?
The Part-Time Officers work to proactively represent the rights of the students in their specific student groups. They ensure that the JMSU as a whole takes the views and needs of these students into account and undertakes projects and campaigns to support relevant student communities.
This is a voluntary role which will finish on 08 October 2021 or upon completion of your studies with LJMU – whichever comes first.
- Be an active part of the JMSU community.
- Be a change-maker at JMSU working with Student Voice and Campaigns.
- Represent your student community and advocate for their rights, and champion for positive change to improve their student experience.
- Spend time talking to students, finding out what their issues are and working with the Officer Team to resolve these issues.
- Follow NUS Liberation campaigns and their connecting liberation networks.
- Represent student communities on relevant Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) issues, including sitting on the relevant committees of the University.
- Present to students at various events e.g. during welcome week to welcome new students to the University.
- Work and support the Officer team at JMSU, developing and improving the student experience at JMSU.
- Work with Student Voice and Campaigns staff towards developing an effective handover document for the next officer to use.
- Chair the connecting Student Network for the community you represent.
- Organise and run events and campaigns for the student community you represent.
- Develop relationships with LJMU colleagues at Student Advice and Wellbeing especially around EDI to improve the student experience of the community you represent.
- Respond appropriately to student issues, managing your Part-Time Officer inbox and connecting communication platforms.
- Attend JMSU’s AGM and other focus groups in order to represent your community of students.
- Work with the Student Voice and Campaigns team, having monthly catch-ups with a staff member throughout your term.
In order to run for this position, you must be a current LJMU student who self-identifies to the group you would represent, below are some important qualities for Part-Time Officers:
- Passionate about student issues
- Approachable and engaging
- Have a positive attitude
- Comfortable talking to students
- Want to support the work of JMSU
Skills Development – What Will I Get Out Of It?
Part-Time Officers will develop the following skills:
- Organisational Skills
- Listening and Interpersonal Skills
- Team Work
- Project Planning
- Advocacy & Representation
JMSU staff are happy to support you to reflect on opportunities that you have gained in this role that you can use to enhance your CV and own professional development.
Please find more information in the PTO/NUS Candidate Pack 2020 here.