Here are some of our most commonly asked questions. It is not an exhaustive list, and if you have a question that is not here then contact us.

I’m a parent - can I contact you about a problem my child is having at LJMU?

For reasons of confidentiality, we are unable to discuss a student’s situation without their consent. It’s important to us that we try to empower students to do their best to resolve their problems themselves and therefore it’s usually best for them to discuss their situation with us directly. However, we understand that sometimes, students may need support from their family during difficult times and we will try to accommodate this if it is appropriate and requested by the student. If you feel your child would benefit from some support, please direct them to the guidance on our website or suggest that they make an appointment with us. 

What does progression mean?

Progression simply means going on to the next year of study. So, once you have passed your first year, you ‘progress’ on to your second year. You will need 120 credits to progress. There are some circumstances where you can continue with your studies if you do not have 120 credits. These are an Exceptional Second Referral or a Final Module Attempt.

Help! I’ve failed a module! What do I do now?

This may be something that you need to talk over with an adviser, as the next steps will depend on what you have failed, how many times you have already attempted the particular assessment and how many credits you have successfully passed.

You have two attempts at an assessment. If you fail your first attempt, you will be given a second attempt, which will be capped at 40% (or the pass mark for your course, which can be 50%). If you have failed your resits, then there may be a possibility that you are given an exceptional second referral or a final module attempt.

What is an exceptional second referral?

LJMU lets students have two opportunities at a module. However, there is an exception. You can be given a third opportunity called exceptional second referral if:

You have achieved 100 credits at your level – This means that the module can only be up to 20 credits.

The module is eligible for exceptional second referral.

This module will be taken alongside your next level, and you will need to pass the module to be able to progress. For example: you fail a 20 credit module twice in your first year, you are given an Exception Second Referral. You take this alongside your second year studies. If you fail the Exceptional Second Referral you will not be able to progress onto your next year.

Unless you meet those conditions, failing two opportunities at a module will mean that you cannot progress into the next level or graduate with your intended degree. There is a small fee for the Exceptional Second Referral.

Please note that there is no trailing permitted in certain courses such as Pharmacy or Mechanical Engineering. This means that if you are offered an exceptional second referral, you will need to attempt your resit before being allowed to progress to the next level.

What is a Final Module Attempt?

A Final Module Attempt may be offered if you have achieved between 60 and 99 credits. Grades from your previous attempts are not carried forward. It is a single attempt at all assessments, with attendance at university.

You will be charged a proportion of the student fees for the year, for further information on student fees please contact Student Advice and Wellbeing.   

I’m struggling with my course, what shall I do?

The University has resources and help available for students who are struggling with their learning, whether it is help preparing for exams, problems with referencing, English language support, general study skills advice or disability support. Full details on support offered is available on the LJMU website here. 

I’m really unhappy at university; how do I quit my course?

You may simply need some temporary help adjusting to your course. Alternatively, you may wish to transfer to a different course, take time out from your course or even withdraw from your studies permanently. It’s important to share your concerns and get advice before making your decision. Student Advice and Wellbeing (SAW) have an adviser who can help you to talk through the reasons why you’re unhappy, can refer you for extra study support and help you consider your options. You can contact SAW here.

How do I suspend my studies?

You may wish to take time off your studies for a number of reasons. This may be for financial or medical reasons that you need to take a break. It is possible to do this at any time of your studies, but there may be issues that you need to consider such as student finance. As mentioned above, we recommend that you contact Student Advice and Wellbeing to talk through all of your options. 

I’m unhappy with the way my module is being taught; is there anything I can do?

- It’s a good idea to raise these concerns with your Course Rep. Every program at LJMU has a Course Rep who:

- Talks to students on the program about what they love or needs to be different about their education.

- Talks to Program Leaders and JMSU so that people with the power to make things different are aware of what students think.

- Attends a termly Board of Study meeting, to formally put student issues on the record, receive answers to student questions and scrutinise information about how external experts think the program is running.

If you want to become a Course Rep or for more information, please see here.

If you feel that the situation is severe, or where the complaint is against a staff member please contact our Advice Service.

Will making a complaint affect my studies?

Submitting a complaint is your right where you do not feel (and can show) that you are not receiving the education or treatment that you believe that you should. The main concern we see with complaints is that students are worried if they submit one, it will affect marks and academics. The short answer is no. This however will not elevate the worry on its own, we advise if you are being treated differently and it is having an adverse effect on your studies and can show this, it would be cause for another complaint.

How will my complaint be investigated?

Complaints are investigated in one of two ways:

It may be sent to the school for them to provide a response

It may be investigated by an Independent Investigating Officer. This means that you will also be asked to attend an investigation meeting; this is to gain more information from your perspective on the complaint. This also enables other people involved to be interviewed such as staff members.

What should I do if I’m unable to hand my work in on time?

This depends how far in advance you know that you will not be able to hand in your work. If you have a look at the extenuating circumstances guidance on our website, this discusses all of the options that are available to you. The more open you are with the University about any issues you have, the more support they will be able to give you. So, talk to your lecturers or personal tutor about any problems and they may be able to help you with extensions. This is all explained in the extenuating circumstances document. 

I’ve missed an exam because I was unwell, what can I do?

The University recognises that circumstances beyond your control may prevent you from attending an exam. The University has a policy called “extenuating circumstances” which you should follow. You have five days before or after the affected exam to submit your extenuating circumstances form, so you do need to act relatively quickly. We would suggest having a look at our extenuating circumstances guidance, and if you need any further help then book an appointment as soon as possible by ringing JMSU reception on  0151 231 4900.  You can also contact Student Advice and Wellbeing for advice on the extenuating circumstances process.

An unexpected issue happened in an exam and I was unable to focus, what do I do?

If you are suddenly taken ill or another unexpected event has happened during your exam you can use the special mitigation process. This must be completed and submitted within five working days of the affected exam. Further information can be found here.

I have jury service and assessments due at the same time, what do I do?

If there is a planned event that cannot be moved such a jury service, you can submit a Deferred Considerations form. It cannot be used for taking a holiday. If your DC application is accepted, you will undertake the assessment in the next possible assessment period. If the DC is not accepted, you will be expected to undertake the assessment at the original time. Further information can be found here.

I’ve just got my essay back and the mark is much lower than I expected; can I complain that it wasn’t marked correctly?

You cannot appeal a decision purely because you disagree with your marks. If this is the case, we would suggest talking through your marks with your lecturer and asking for feedback on how to improve. If you have evidence that the essay has not been marked correctly, for example you can show that your written feedback doesn’t correspond with what you actually wrote then there may be a case for an appeal or complaint. Have a look through our guidance on each of these areas, and if you need any further help then book an appointment with one of our advisers. It is always best to try to resolve the matter informally.

How is my Degree Mark calculated?

Your award mark is calculated as follow:

25% of your Level 5 mark (all the Level 5 module marks weighted by credits)

75% of your Level 6 mark (all the Level 6 module marks weighted by credits)

You can get your Award mark rounded up to the higher degree class (1:1, 2:1, 2:2) if you meet those two conditions:

Your award mark is 1% below the classification boundary (so for example 69%) 

More than half (and not half!) of your contributing modules at Level 6 are in the class above (so 70% and above in this example).

I’ve been accused of cheating, what shall I do?

The University takes cheating seriously. We would suggest having a look at our factsheet and if you need any further help then contact JMSU reception to book an appointment with an adviser on the details provided on the final page of this factsheet.

I’ve been convicted of criminal damage; do I have to tell the University even though it wasn’t University property?

It is necessary to tell LJMU about any convictions so that they can assess any risks and ensure that it is appropriate for you to continue on your course. This is important for any course, but even more significant for professional courses such as Nursing, Pharmacy or Teaching courses. Take a look at our criminal convictions factsheet and if you need any further guidance then ring JMSU reception to book an appointment with an adviser.

I’m starting to worry about what happens after university and what I can do to improve my chances of finding work; can you help me with this?

We are unable to provide careers advice. LJMU has a careers department, which specialises in careers advice, improving your employability and providing advice and feedback about your current skills. You can contact them here and book an appointment to discuss any of your concerns.

Contact us 

Book an appointment

Give us feedback